Day #17 & #18: Lessons from Fasting
rafting rahong pangalengan

Day #17 & #18: Lessons from Fasting

Whew! Can I just say that I am SOOOO glad that life is back to normal? I mean, last week was great and all but I'm a girl who likes routine and I'm definitely excited that this should be a relatively "routine" week! Also, sorry that I didn't post yesterday, it's really important to me that I blog every day for 2 reasons: 1) For my own accountability (it is easy for me to push eating healthy and excercising to the side so blogging about it daily keeps it in the front of my mind) and 2) I think it's annoying when I'm following a blog and a person goes 4 or 5 days without posting. Just tellin' the truth! :) So, I'm sorry! I will only use 10 post "skip" days for this entire year so yesterday will count as my first one.


Alright, as promised I wanted to just share quickly about somethings that I found interesting/ observed during my fast last week. For clarification, from last Sunday till this past Saturday I only consumed: water, coffee, and juice. Again, this had nothing to do with trying to lose weight or for any health related purpose- it was about my relationship with God.


Needless to say, going a week without food did teach me a few things about this journey that I'm going on in 2010; here are a few things that I found interesting...


- I truly found it 10 times easier to eat nothing than I do to make heatlhy choices. I think something that I have picked up in the past few months has really been the transition from living to eat to eating to live. I don't have the same desire to eat just because I want to anymore- I eat because I need food for nutrition. Seriously- there were times last week that I thought to myself, if it weren't for the fact that I would die and that it is extremely unhealthy, I would be ok to never eat again. Please hear me out- I know that statement could sound REALLY bad- all I'm saying is that I found it way easier to cut food out of my life than I thought it would be.


- Eating healthy is a decision- plain and simple. I know this might seem like a no brainer but this little revelation hit me about mid week when I was super tempted to go and get a cup of soup. This is the conversation that was going on in my head..."Tiffany, you said you were only going to do liquids, potatoe soup is liquid right? No- it's not a liquid if you have to chew the potatoes in the soup! Well, maybe I'll just take the potatoes out. Are you making this decision because you truly think it is ok or because you are hungry? Well, it's because I'm hungry-c'mon, I haven't eaten all week, don't I deserve a measly cup of soup- besides, who is going to know? No, you can do better than this- you made a commitment to God and to yourself, now stick to it- you can do this." And I did.


No lie- this is a conversation that many of us have with ourselves every day- I know I do. We have made a decision not to drink soda or eat chips or whatever it is and we try to rationalize it away; we tell ourselves, "But I've been good all week, what's a few chips really going to do in the long run, no one is going to know, etc." But in the end we have got to realize that we aren't cheating anyone but ourselves when we cheat and that every time we give in to a temptation we are weakening our ability to say no (can you tell I've been reading the Beck-ster?) :) And let me tell you, once I had that conversation in my mind- the decision was made and it was like a switch was flipped- I had made up my mind and there was no longer the option of "cheating;" I am working to flip this same switch in my mind in regards to my healthiness journey.


So there you have it- I learned a lot, accomplished a lot, and I'm glad A LOT that it's over :)


I'll leave you with my breakfast from this morning~it was super yummy and super low-cal! I had an breakfast sandwhich (whole wheat english muff, ff american cheese, egg beaters egg whites) and the NEW Fiber One Yogurt (Strawberry Flavor)!

The sandwhich was super yummy! I was a little skeptical about how good it would be using only egg whites and fat free cheese but honestly- you couldn't even tell! And heck, for only 175 cals, I'll take it! I picked up the yogurt yesterday after receiving a coupon to try it for free in the mail and let me tell you it is great! The yogurt contains 0g fat, 5g fiber, 3g protein, and only 50 cals! Bringing the breakfast cal total to 225 :)

Alright ya'll- there are only 2 weeks left in January, let's make sure that we are giving it our best so that we can look back on this month and say that we gave it out all! Remember, today is tomorrow!

rafting rahong pangalengan